The sense of smell is one of the quickest ways to reach the brain and affect the mood of your friends and family. The holidays can be one of the most stressful times of the year but you can ease the stress by using aromatherapy essential oils. Essential oils will make your house smell wonderful and the scented atmosphere will brighten the mood of all those invited into your home. Choose seasonal essential oils to heighten the holiday spirit. Some of the most popular scents to use at this time of the year are frankincense, myrrh, pine, cinnamon, orange and sandalwood.
- Frankincense and myrrh are popular holiday scents because they were brought by the three wise men to honor the birth of Jesus. Both of these scents are also used for their medicinal properties. Frankincense is often used in meditation because of its ability to calm, relax, and slow down breathing.
- Pine often brings up memories of Christmas trees but it is also an essential oil that has many healing properties. It is often used to relieve sinuses, asthma, fatigue, allergies, and inflammation.
- Cinnamon essential oil is a warm and spicy scent that is often associated with Christmas probably because of the Christmas cookies left for Santa. Cinnamon has the healing properties of antiseptic, anti-infectious, and anti-bacterial.
- Orange essential oil is associated with Christmas because of the Christmas tradition of giving children an orange in their Christmas stocking. Orange essential oil relieves stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia. It is a light and uplifting scent, as are most of the citrus essential oils.
- Sandalwood is mentioned in the Christian Bible and was used by the Egyptians to embalm bodies. This essential oil has sedative, anti-depressant, decongestant, antiseptic, anti-infectious and aphrodisiac properties.
Aromatherapy can be used in several ways during the holidays. Give gifts of aromatherapy essential oils, aromatherapy baskets, and aromatherapy diffusers. You can also give the gift of “well-being” when you scent your home with these delicious fragrances.